Following the theme this month, we are wrapping up our analysis of the DiSC assessment. In this article, we will be taking a detailed look at the C-style of Conscientiousness.
Meticulous and detailed, C-style workers are invaluable assets to their respective teams. While they are not the most expressive individuals the precision and quality of their work is unparalleled.
Individuals of the C-style are analytical and detail-oriented. They take pride in working conscientiously to ensure the utmost quality and accuracy. Their careful nature is reflected socially in their diplomatic and tactful relationships with others. C-style individuals are extremely cautious and selective with their words. They are not overly expressive and prefer to let the quality of their work speak for itself. In order to achieve the high quality, C-style workers are meticulous in their preparation. They spend a great deal of time processing information and analyzing data. Their work ethic is so scrupulous that it may appear obsessive to some.
So how will you be able to identify C-style workers in a virtual environment? Here are your 3 tips:
1. Meticulous Attitude- The meticulous nature of a C-style individual is very noticeable. When talking to them, you can sense the intensity of their focus. They are listening attentively to your every word and processing the information at the very same time. They will expect you to be comprehensive, right down to the last detail. They will not be hesitant to ask you to clarify if uncertain.
2. Quality of Work- As mentioned, the works from those of the C-style are of the highest quality. Conscientious worker put in an immense amount time and effort in all their works. As such, you will notice that the C-style workers typically go above and beyond the minimum requirements. You will also note their precision and superior accuracy.
3. Reserved- In meetings and conferences, you will notice that C-style individuals are not the quickest to respond or voice their opinions. This is due to their analytical nature, which requires them to process all available info, data and facts before responding. The slow or lack of response is also attributed to their desire to be right. When not absolutely certain, C-style individuals will rarely voice an opinion voluntarily.
Like the other styles, I have had my experiences with those belonging to the C-style. I once worked with a colleague that exuded Conscientiousness like few others. She too worked in the professional training business. Being a C-style, each time she talked to an associate, she recorded the amount of time spent. She would then measure the productivity of the conversation, in terms of learning new training methods or getting new clients from the associate. She systematically documented all this in an Excel spreadsheet. At year’s end, she would open up the spreadsheet and compare the time spent to the productivity of the conversations. If the productivity was less than the time spent, she would discontinue her work with the associate. Though this was over the top methodical, it was truly effective and profitable for her career.
In dealing with those of the C-style, here are 2 helpful tips:
1. Be detail-oriented- Knowing C-style individuals are detail-oriented, you yourself must pay attention to details. When talking to them, be specific and take care to not overlook any intricacies no matter how frivolous they may seem.
2. Be patient- As alluded to previously, C-style workers need time to process all available information. They are slow to respond because they want to give the correct answer, not because they are disengaged. Be patient with them and you will be rewarded.
You are now familiar with the last of the styles. I hope this will help you better your relationships with those of the C-style in your future virtual dealings. Please check out this week’s podcast for more indications and tips. Next time, we will be taking a close look at how all four styles pertain to virtual meetings.