Following our theme this month, we are continuing the analysis of the DiSC assessment. In this article, we will be taking a detailed look at the i-style, representing Influence.
Known for their charismatic and engaging personalities, i-style individuals are the prototypical socialites of the workplace. While it is easy to mistaken them for nothing more than charming conversationalists, i-style workers do play an integral role in every successful team.
Influential individuals are naturally emotional and sensitive to the feelings of others. Their out-going and friendly demeanor is ideally suited for teamwork. However, the same demeanor also pleads for attention and approval. Despite their desire to chat, i-style individuals are dependable workers who thrive in a fast-paced environment. Though they work diligently, i-style workers are not the most detail-oriented and may come off as disorganized. They do not respond well to structured settings and tight schedules. They are however vital in keeping the workplace positive and cohesive, as their upbeat attitude can become contagious.
Putting i-style individuals in the ideal position to succeed is crucial to the efficiency of your teams. I remember one occasion where I trained a student who held two positions within her company. One of the positions was along the lines of a professional trainer while the other was of the analytical nature. She was frustrated by the fact that she excelled in the training position yet struggled immensely in the other. Though I did not physically meet her, I was able to identify her as an i-style individual. This helped to explain her success as a trainer while making sense of her struggles with a role that required attention to details. Having pointed this out, she was able to focus solely on her strengths. Needless to say, the efficiency and quality of her work soared. Though this happened years ago, it remains a classic example of identifying and utilizing one’s strengths to achieve maximum effectiveness.
While reading this, you may have wondered how I was able to identify an i-style in the virtual setting? Here are 3 definite signs:
1. Social Beings- One clear indicator is the amount of non-work related conversations. As mentioned, i-style workers are dependable workers. However, they do like to engage in social chatter before, after and throughout work.
2. Positive- Workers belonging to the i-style are positive individuals. Simply put, they exude positive energy. You will notice in meetings and conference calls that they are very enthusiastic and optimistic. They take pride in cooperating with others and choose their words carefully.
3. Need Others- You will notice that i-style individuals are very engaged during team discussions, meetings and other scenarios where collaboration is needed.
Being able to identify i-style individuals can be of great advantage. Having identified them, here are 2 tips:
1. Acknowledgment- Knowing that i-style individuals need the recognition and approval of others, acknowledge their work. Praise their effort and the quality of their work whenever possible. Also make sure you do not ignore them.
2. Give freedom- The key is to understand that influential workers will get the work done. Knowing they don’t like tight schedules and structures, give them the freedom to be self-regulated and complete the work at their own pace. Though they are social, the work will be finished on time.
You now have comprehensive knowledge of the i-style. I hope this will help you create better relationships with those of the i-style in your future virtual dealings. Please check out this week’s podcast for more indications and tips. Next time, we will be taking a look at the Steadiness style.