Effective communications is the key to the success of virtual team work. Protocols are required to ensure clarity and appropriate, timely action. It is important that team members understand that when working virtually, there is a greater need for regular communication. “Silence” or inconsistent communications creates uncertainty.
Communications Best Practices
- We will check e-mails twice a day.
- We will call into the office once a day.
- We will let people know if there will be a delay in dealing with an item.
- We value confidentiality.
- We have a no scroll policy on all emails
- We handle conflict directly with the person concerned and work to resolve it
- We identify and communicate possible conflicts clearly and immediately
- We give feedback in a timely manner, respecting cultural sensitivities